Hello, I'm Daniël.

About me

My name is Daniël van Hoesel, people also call me DEE, by the first letter of my name. I'm a freelance full stack developer with over 20 years of professional experience. However, I have been writing code since I built my first computer as a teenager.

I am 37 years old and live in Haarlem, The Netherlands, with my wife and two kids. I am fluent in both Dutch and English.

When I'm not developing software or spending time with my family, I enjoy building furniture and other interior products. My wife and I design and sell these products through her blog interikleur.com.

I really love the challenge of brainstorming, architecting, and developing new products from concept to production solutions. I like to work as lean and agile as possible, while making sure my code is clean, well-tested, and easy to maintain. I deploy often by breaking features down into smaller components to test their viability before investing time in unused ideas.

I prefer to work remotely or in a hybrid setup most of the time.

If you have any questions or if you'd like to chat about a new project, feel free to contact me using my details below.

Download my resume.

Tech

These are some of the technologies I've worked with. Some are more recent than others, and my experience with them varies in depth.

I strongly believe that the choice of the technology stack should be based on the project requirements and the environment. Not every problem can be solved with the same approach, sometimes you need different tools to fix specific problems.

Most recent tech

Other tech

Experience

1. Feb 2020 - present

Freelance Full Stack Software Engineer - Scribbr

Building various tools to help students become better writers.

• TypeScript
    • NodeJS
    • React
    • Express
    • BullMQ
    • PDF.js
    • AWS
    • PostgreSQL
    • Event Sourcing
    • Terraform
    • Docker
  1. Apr 2011 - Jan 2020

Agile Software Engineer - Zilverline

As a Senior Agile Software Engineer, I developed a wide range of software applications and products across Mobile (iOS, Android), Web, and Embedded platforms.

Worked in various Scrum teams, both as a team member and as a Scrum Master.

2. Jun 2019 - Jan 2020

Full Stack Software Engineer - Reisbalans

Development of a corporate travel budget solution.

• Ruby on Rails
    • PostgreSQL
    • jQuery
    • React
    • AWS
    • Ansible
  3. Apr 2016 - Jun 2019

Full Stack Software Engineer - Thinka

Development of various Smart Home products.

• NodeJS
    • React
    • RxJS
    • Ruby on Rails
    • AWS
    • PostgreSQL
  4. Dec 2018 - Feb 2019

Software Engineer - Gibas

Developed Ruby on Rails application to easily create offers for new clients.

• Ruby on Rails
    • jQuery
    • NodeJS
    • Puppeteer
    • PostgreSQL
    • CSS Paged Media
  5. Feb 2017 - Feb 2019

Software Engineer - AssetLog

Development of an Asset registration application.

• Ruby on Rails
    • jQuery
    • PostgreSQL
  6. Nov 2016 - Jan 2017

Software Engineer - Mijksenaar

Developed advanced application to support the creation, management, and design of physical signage.

• Ruby on Rails
    • jQuery
    • PostgreSQL
    • SVG
    • PhantomJS
  7. Oct 2015 - Oct 2016

Software Engineer - The Bikevertising Company

Developed an iOS application and backend to manage advertisement on bikes.

• Swift
    • Ruby on Rails
    • Event Sourcing
    • PostgreSQL
  8. Feb 2015 - May 2015

Software Engineer - Meterstanden Manager

Developed an iOS application and backend to manage commercial utility meters.

• Swift
    • Ruby on Rails
    • React
    • PostgreSQL
  9. Jan 2013 - Jan 2015

Software Engineer - Reisbalans

Development of a corporate travel budget solution.

• Ruby on Rails
    • jQuery
    • PostgreSQL
  1. Feb 2008 - Mar 2011

Software Engineer - Capgemini

Developing various advanced web and software applications for the government and various insurance companies. Worked on several internal projects and projects on a secondment basis.

2. Oct 2010 - Mar 2011

Software Engineer - Nederlandse Spoorwegen

Added a variety of features to the current online webshop. This webshop allows people to buy and print their own train tickets.

All the public applications for the NS have their own backend with their own authentication procedures. This is a mess. I helped designing and developing a streamlined process and a single authentication application/library that acts as a gateway for all the backend applications.

3. Aug 2010 - Oct 2010

Software Engineer - Ministerie van BZK

Designing and developing a data record import and calculation module which parses millions of records per import. Also worked on some logic to combine various PHP and Java applications together.

4. Mar 2010 - Jun 2010

Interface Developer - Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service

Building a front-end for the new case management system, in Edinburgh, Scotland.

5. Jun 2009 - Nov 2009

Software Engineer - ABZ

Developing an ExperienceHub for various insurance companies.

6. Dec 2008 - May 2009

User Interaction Designer - OHRA

Designed a new dynamic interface developed in Adobe Flex, to replace an old mainframe interface. The interface is used by OHRA's call-center employees.

7. Oct 2008 - Dec 2008

Software Engineer - Ministerie van BZK

Worked on a management module for a prototype of the ORRA project.

8. Jul 2008 - Oct 2008

Software Architect - KPN

Successfully designed and developed an order processing system for OXXIO's gas and energy smart metering project.

1. Jan 2007 - Jan 2008

Web Developer - Chap Internet BV

Developing various advanced web applications.

1. Jan 2004 - Jan 2008

Founder - Re-Invention

Responsible for managing and coordinating the development of advanced web applications for various clients.

Education

1. 2005 - 2008

Bachelor Software Engineering - Avans Hogeschool, 's-Hertogenbosch

Graduated cum-laude for the fast-track bachelor degree.

Contact

The best way to reach me is via email rather than by phone. Just drop me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible!

Kievitstraat 3
2025 ZH Haarlem
The Netherlands

daniel@danielvanhoesel.nl
+31 6 122 177 15

KvK: 76788083
BTW-ID: NL003135060B87